Feeds RSS

Thursday 18 June 2009

The Storm Clouds are Clearing


The man has got his artwork in more homes than Picasso, Monet, Rothko, Van Gogh and dozens of others put together.

His work is truly iconic. And we are on first name terms.

Clang!!! It's a name dropping kind of week.

Storm Thorgerson is not a familiar name but his most famous image is in over thirty million homes.

He designed nearly every Pink Floyd album cover as well as ones for the Cranberries, Muse, Genesis, Paul Young, 10cc and Ian Dury.

Last year I asked him for an interview and he is a curmudgeonly so-and-so and declined with a 'Do I have to?'

So I thought sod you.

In the last year or two he has been heavily restricted in his activities by a stroke and he has cancer too so I can understand if he might not be in the best of spirits at times.

But when I saw him on Tuesday in the restaurant he visits practically every day without fail, he couldn't have been happier.

The sun was shining and his current artists who help create his visions were busy sketching on one of the outside tables.

He knew that I had been to see Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon and said that 'Sean' had called him the other day with a view to creating his new album's artwork and we had a very pleasant chat.

I think it's time to approach the subject of an interview again.

I just hope he doesn't have another 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' 

0 comments:

Post a Comment